TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

Nueces County TX
Nueces County

San Patricio County TX
San Patricio County


Texas Towns
A - Z

Ingleside Hotels

More Hotels

INGLESIDE, TEXAS

Nueces & San Patricio County, Texas Gulf Coast

2752'27"N 9712'30"W (27.874070, -97.208379)

Northside of Corpus Christi Bay
4 miles S of Aransas Pass
14 miles NE of Corpus Christi
Population: 10,242 Est. (2018)
9,387 (2010) 9,388 (2000) 5,696 (1990)

Book Hotel Here ›
Ingleside Hotels

Ingleside Texas Marina
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, May 2007

History in a Seashell

Early Scottish settler John Vineyard is credited with naming the city after his ancestral home. A hard date for a beginning would be 1854 when a man named George Hatch purchased land. He sold acreage to newcomers and the next year brothers George and Marcellus Turner arrived - opening the area's first post office in 1857.

A man named Henry Nold operated the Ingleside Male and Female Academy from 1857 until 1862 when it was destroyed by Union troops. Until the arrival of the railroad, Ingleside was supplied by steamships.

Ingleside was bypassed by the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway and Palomas was established as a flag stop. For a short period both Palomas and Ingleside post offices served the area. Residents set up a new townsite near the railroad in 1893, and a large hotel was built in the early 1890s in hopes of luring landbuyers. The hoped-for boom was in reality a bust and the total population of Ingleside in the 1890s was only 30.

In 1916 a disasterous hurricane struck - delaying development. In the late 20s, Humble Oil built a tank farm at Port Ingleside, and planned a refinery. The housing built for company employees insured growth. - which is exactly what happened.

By 1947 the area had 1,125 Inglesiders and by 1970 there were 4,050. The Corps of Engineers cut La Quinta Channel, through Ingleside Point in 1954, creating the area now known as Ingleside-on-the-Bay. After 1972 the population grew steadily, reaching over 6,000 in 1988 - and over 9,000 for the year 2000.

Ingleside Historical Marker

Ingleside Gulf Coast Scenes &
Historical Markers



Ingleside Texas bay view
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, May 2007

Ingleside Texas boat
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, May 2007

Ingleside Texas  ship
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, May 2007

Ingleside Texas historical marker
Ingleside Texas historical marker
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, May 2007

Ingleside Texas schools marker
"Early Ingleside Schools" Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, May 2007

Historical Marker: Inwood Drive/CR 125, Ingleside

Early Ingleside Schools

Early education in Ingleside began in the 1850s when settlers John P. and Susan Hatch Borden established Bay Seminary in 1854. The Borden's School was closed by 1860. Henry Nold bought land from the Bordens and opened Ingleside College in 1857. Nold expanded the curriculum and built more frame structures for at least 30 boarding students. During the Civil War the college buildings were torn down. A school in nearby Allendale was built about 1872 and was active until 1910. The Ingleside public school system began about 1900.
(1997)

Ingleside Texas water tower
Ingleside water tower
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, May 2007

Ingleside Texas sign
Ingleside City Limit
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, May 2007



Take a road trip

Ingleside, Texas Nearby Towns:
Aransas Pass
Corpus Christi
See Nueces County | San Patricio County

Book Hotel Here:
Ingleside Hotels | More Hotels

Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Texas Towns A - Z Texas Regions:
Gulf Texas Gulf Coast East East Texas North Central Texas North Central Woutn Central Texas South Panhandle Texas Panhandle
South South Texas Hill Texas Hill Country West West Texas Ghost Texas Ghost Towns counties Texas Counties

Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Home »
TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
Texas Counties
Texas Towns A-Z
Texas Ghost Towns

TEXAS REGIONS:
Central Texas North
Central Texas South
Texas Gulf Coast
Texas Panhandle
Texas Hill Country
East Texas
South Texas
West Texas

Courthouses
Jails
Churches
Schoolhouses
Bridges
Theaters
Depots
Rooms with a Past
Monuments
Statues

Gas Stations
Post Offices
Museums
Water Towers
Grain Elevators
Lodges
Stores
Banks

Vintage Photos
Historic Trees
Cemeteries
Old Neon
Ghost Signs
Signs
Murals
Gargoyles
Pitted Dates
Cornerstones
Then & Now

Columns: History/Opinion
Texas History
Small Town Sagas
Black History
WWII
Texas Centennial
Ghosts
People
Animals
Food
Music
Art

Books
Texas Railroads

Texas Trips
Texas Drives
Texas State Parks
Texas Rivers
Texas Lakes
Texas Forts
Texas Trails
Texas Maps
USA
MEXICO
HOTELS

Site Map
About Us
Privacy Statement
Disclaimer
Contributors
Staff
Contact Us

 
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved