History in a Pecan
in the late 1880s, the first public structure was reportedly a schoolhouse. The
community was on a stageline from Portland to
San Patricio and the home of James Willis
served as both stagestop and first post office.
The town (no explanation for the name is available) had an official post office
from 1894 through 1914. Thereafter it was routed through Odem.
The town died around the time of the closing of the post office.
"This marker sits in a
park in Odem, Texas telling of 2 small communities
that no longer are on the map." - William
Patricio County TX 1907 Postal Map showing Kaleta
"PA" in "SAN PATRICIO")
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
or vintage/historic photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here