in a Pecan shell|
The St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway
arrived here in 1907 and the town was platted two years later. John James Welder
and David Odem were the town developers. David just happened to be the county
sheriff, which may or may not have influenced the naming of the town.
Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company lands had been sold and subdivided into small farms.
Smaller communities of Angelita, Kaleta,
Meansville, and Sharpsburg were drawn into
“greater” Odem. By 1915 there were 500 residents.
was the town’s initial economy. Beets, Cabbage, Onions,
Radishes and Spinach were the predominant crops.
Decades later it is
and grain sorghum that is shipped out. Many townspeople commute to Corpus
Christi for work. By the late 1980s the population had increased to almost
crop is a rarity this year with the drought. Some cotton gins in the area will
not open this year and most cotton fields never developed and others plowed under
when the crops burned up. - William
Beauchamp, August 2009
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
and vintage/historic photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here