|History in a Pecan
Sodville dates from the early 1900s when local ranchs were subdivided
into small farms and sold by the George H. Paul Land Company.
was built in 1908 that shared its space with a Union Sunday School.
town gained a store by 1910 and the Sodville Baptist Church organized four years
A brick school was built in the late 1930s. At its peak, Sodville’s
school district enrolled over 300 students before merging with Sinton’s
schools after WWII.
In the early 1960s with its membership in decline, the Baptist Church disbanded.
The population was reported under 50 residents in the 1980s and the town is now
known as a dispersed rural community.
Located in San Patricio County, 3 miles West of Taft
& about 6 miles SE of Sinton
at the intersections of FM roads 1944 & 1074. A few homes & a couple of barns
are all that's left to be seen. The landscape has changed greatly in the last
couple of months as a large Windfarm has made it's home in the Sodville area.
Beauchamp, June 2009
Farmers Gin Co.|
Vintage courtesy of the Taft Blackland Museum
More on Cotton
| Cotton Gins