a Pecan Shell
Early settler Augustin “Gus” Heard, is believed to be the community’s namesake.
A post office for area residents was opened on Heard’s ranch in 1876 with Heard’s
son (W.D.) as postmaster. In the early 1890s, the population was estimated at
85 residents. Several members of the Heard family moved to Sabinal,
leaving the ranch in the care of T.D. Heard. In 1897 a post office called Bowles
opened on the Heard ranch with Mrs. Heard as postmistress.
community school had 36 pupils in 1900 and the building also served as a meeting
place of the Dry Frio Baptist Church. Raising funds for a separate church building
took 45 years. In the early 1960s their efforts came to fruition with the construction
of the building that stands today between the communities of Heard and Reagan
Heard was left with just a cemetery and the Reagan
Wells school which has since been converted into a community center.
Last of the 3 communities (Aldine, Reagan
Wells and Heard) of FM-1051.
Just past Reagan
Wells, Heard has a well maintained Cemetery & the old School is pretty well
kept up. Not many residences visible with only a mail box here & there along the
road. There is a historical marker in nearby Reagan
Wells that has related history. - William
Beauchamp, June 2010
settlers--families of Louis Bohme, Charles Jones, Gus Heard and Lawrence Pike
Heard-- arrived in 1875 in search of new frontiers and range lands.
first post office was called Heard, as was the first school, which opened in 1880.
While digging a well in 1885, T. H. Hammer discovered area's mineral water
which became famous for medicinal qualities. He later sold his property to a promoter
named Reagan who built a bath house and hotel to sell mineral water.
Church, founded 1906, was first local house of worship.
Uvalde County popstal map showing Bowles.|
of Uvalde. Above "A" in "U-V-A-L-D-E")
courtesy Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate