Present Medina County Courthouse - Hondo,
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Date - 1892
Architect - Martin, Byrnes
Material - Limestone
Location - Highway 16 and FM 462.
North of the railroad tracks
The clock tower was removed in 1941, and
new wings were completed in 1942.
courthouse with the clock tower|
1939 photo courtesy TXDoT
1892 Medina County Courthouse Historical Marker |
Highway 16 and FM 462, Courthouse
Photo courtesy Terry
Jeanson, December 2007
County was founded in 1848 with Castroville
as the County Seat. In 1892, as the result of an election, the seat of county
administration was relocated to Hondo City (now Hondo).
The commissioners court immediately ordered a courthouse to be built at the new
During the administration of County Judge B. Brocks, a building
contract was let to the construction firm of Martin, Byrne & Johnson. Limestone
with a slightly yellowish cast was secured about six miles north of town from
the ranch of Joe Decker. Completed in 1893, the new courthouse provided office
space for the county judge, tax assessor, treasurer, county attorney and district
clerk, and featured a large district courtroom on the second floor.
1939 amd 1942, changes to the 1893 courthouse were made, including the addition
of two two-story lungs. Stone for the lungs was secured again from limestone deposits
on the Recker Ranch.
The classical revival courthouse exhibits some influences
of the Italianate style. Prominent features include the rosticated stone walls,
classical portico over the entry way, a broken triangular pediment, and stone
hold molds with incised eastlake designs.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1984
cornerstone on the northeast corner of the 1892 courthouse was partially covered
up by the 1940s additions (see photo above), so the names were reprinted and placed
on a stone on the east wing of the building (see photo below). - Terry
Jeanson, December 2007
1892 Medina County Courthouse|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, August 2002
earlier view of Medina County Courthouse|
Postcard courtesy rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
1854; first permanent courthouse in Castroville,
the first seat (1848-1892) of Medina County. When built, structure was on old
road to San Antonio.
building took place of temporary office space which County Court had used 6 years.
It was built by Joseph Burger and has 18-inch-thick walls of native limestone.
Additions to original building include one-story wings on both sides and
outside staircase to the second floor.
became County Seat this building was used as a school; now houses City Hall.