in a Pecan Shell|
The town was named after Confederate General Thomas
J. (Stonewall) Jackson. The settlement was just a cluster of crude cabins in 1860
but a stage stop on the San Antonio-Fredericksburg
route was setup in 1870 by Israel P. Nuñez. Nuñez also opened the first post office
five years later.
A settlement called Millville sprang up in 1879
and it drew off population from the first site. A few years later both the stagecoach
operation and the post office moved to Millville, which is when the town assumed
the name of Stonewall.
From a population of just 200 residents in the
mid 1920s, the town had 300 people in 1961 which declined to a low of 150 by 1964.
It has slowly increased to the present high of 469 (2000).
by Mike Cox ("Texas Tales" column)
Stonewall calls itself
the Peach Capital of Texas. The 4,000 or so acres of peach trees in the Hill County
produce about a third of the state’s peach crop each year... more
Visits to Stonewall, Texas
Baines Johnson historical marker on the Old Stonewall School. |
Beauchamp, June 2009