a Pecan Shell
Hermleigh dates from 1907 with the establishment of a post office.
Formerly the post office (and a gin and two groceries) were the nucleus
of a town named Wheat. It was a good no-nonsense name, but
when Wheat moved - it was on land owned by R.C. Herm and Harry Harlin.
They combined their names to form Hermlin, but it was disapproved
by the postal authorities for fear it could easily be confused with
During the First World
War, the town was named after French Field Marshall Foch,
but after thinking about it for a few years, the townsfolk went back
The Santa Fe Railroad came to town in 1911. Six miles out of town,
the First Baptist Church held its services in the old Browning School
On Willis Ave. & Wheat St.
1907 by H. W. Harlin and R. C. Herm, on Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad.
Post office, store and church moved here from Wheat, community
to the northeast. In 1907 New Town a trade center for livestock
farmers had 2 banks, a lumber yard, a newspaper; 2-story brick
school was built 1909. Santa Fe Railroad came through in 1911. In
1918, a war hero was honored by town's name change to "Foch". Old
name was reinstated 1921. Six miles east is Sand Stone Canyon, with
Indian pictographs. Skeletons of extinct mammals have been excavated
| A Scurry County
farm house &
The historical marker for Wheat, Texas
the town that evolved into Hermleigh
Beatty Beauchamp , 2001
On FM 644, 1 mile N of Hermleigh
Site of Wheat
farming community that grew up here in the late 1880s. Received its
name because of a bumper wheat crop the year the U. S. Post Office
opened -- 1890. Two postmasters served here: Minerva Thomas and G.
W. McCall. A school, which doubled as a church, was built a half mile
west on southeast corner of adjoining section of land. When Roscoe,
Snyder & Pacific Railroad was built through the area in 1907, residents
moved two stores and a gin to newly surveyed townsite of Hermleigh
to have access to the railroad.
|1907 postal map
showing Wheat in SE Scurry
From Texas state map #2090
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact