in a Pecan Shell
The county was named after Confederate General Wm. Scurry. William
Henry Snyder was an early merchant/ buffalo
hunter who operated a trading post.
1878: Wm. H. "Pete" Snyder, former Pennsylvanian, opens trading
post on Deep Creek.
1882: Mr. Snyder plans the future town of Snyder and first
1884: County becomes organized and Snyder becomes county seat
1892: Snyder has two newspapers as well as two banks, and two
1908: The Altururian Woman's Club is formed
1910: Population reaches 2,500 - a significant number for West
1911: Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad comes to Snyder.
1931: First State Bank Closes due to The Great Depression
1948: Oil is discovered and Snyder is overwhelmed when it's
population triples in one year
1950: The Snyder Daily News becomes the first daily newspaper
1964: The Diamond M Museum Opens - regarded as one of Texas'
best art collections
1968: Due to the efforts of community leaders Snyder is chosen
as one of only 11 "All American Cities"
1971: Western Texas College is opened
Texas Landmarks / Attractions
Scurry County Museum
- On the campus of Western Texas College
Formerly state land until common usage established it as a cemetery
in 1880's. Legend says first burial was an Indian. Early-day transients
were often buried in unmarked graves. Tract closed to further burials,
1902. Many bodies have been moved elsewhere. Only 14 graves are
(US 180 near 34th Street)
Prior to 1920s held rowdies arrested by town constable. After paved
roads made the county jail accessible, this structure was moved
and sold. Later, to obtain storage space, the D. R. Layman family
swapped a cow for the former Hermleigh Calaboose.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972
Veteran & Pioneer Doctor J.C. Cornelius House
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Photo courtesy Barclay
|Snyder was used
as a backdrop for a movie starring George Strait in 2001. The recently
restored Ritz Theater gets some much-deserved attention.
Buffalo by Mike Cox
While buffalo no longer roam the prairie, a life-sized statute commemorating
that white buffalo stands in the Scurry County courthouse square.
Beneath it is a historical marker about J. Wright Mooar, the man
who brought the white beast down.
on the Snyder Town Square, February 2003
Hudspeth's Faintly Blurred Memory of Snyder
Mr. Hudspeth's comments do not reflect the actual history of
Snyder and students are advised to consult the "History in a Pecan
Boothe by Maggie Van Ostrand
Powers Boothe was born in Snyder on June 1st, 1948 to Merrill Vestal
Boothe and Emily Kathryn Reeves. He attended Texas State University,
San Marcos (then Southwest Texas State) where he was a member of
the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity and received his Master of Fine
Arts from Southern Methodist University.
Powers Boothe has long been one of America's finest actors in two
major categories, character and leading man... more
Life of Riley by Mike Cox
T. J. Faught
- April 22, 1847-August 2, 1912
Historical Marker in Snyder Cemetery:
"Settled in 1879 as a rancher in northeast Scurry County. In
1884, six months after county organization, the first sheriff resigned
in disgust. Faught was appointed, serving remainder of that term
plus three more. As sheriff, he never wore a gun. Faught was also
a leading citizen of Snyder. He built a hall for the Masonic Lodge,
of which he was a charter member. Faught Street (now 27th Street)
was named in his honor."
and Store at 23 Street
Manery was the proprietor of several businesses,
and a part of Snyder is named after him.
Photo c1906 courtesy Charlene Beatty Beauchamp
School in Snyder, 1900s
| Early 1900s
Snyder street scene
|West Side Square,
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact