TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : COUNTIES : : TOPICS : : HISTORY/OPINION : : ARCHITECTURE : : IMAGES : : ARCHIVE : : SITE MAP

Tom Green County TX
Tom Green County

San Angelo Hotels


Texas | Architecture | Courthouses

TOM GREEN COUNTY COURTHOUSE
County Seat - San Angelo, Texas
Tom Green County

By Terry Jeanson

Tom Green County has had four courthouses:
1876 - Ben Ficklin
1882 - Ben Ficklin
1885 - San Angelo
1928 - San Angelo

Book Hotel Here > San Angelo Hotels
 San Angelo, TX - 1928 Tom Green County courthouse
The current 1928 Tom Green County courthouse
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, March 2017

Tom Green County Courthouse
- San Angelo, Texas

Date: 1928
Architect: Anton F. Korn
Style: Classical Revival
Material: Brick and stone

As of 2017, plans were underway to remodel the interior of the courthouse which will include the historic restoration of the district courtrooms to their 1928 condition.
San Anglelo TX - Tom Green County Courthouse  old photo
The 1928 Tom Green County Courthouse as it appeared in 1939
Photo courtesy TXDoT
 San Angelo, TX - 1928 Tom Green County courthouse  north side
North side of Tom Green County courthouse
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, March 2017
 San Angelo, TX - 1928 Tom Green County courthouse  colonnade
Courthouse entrance colonnade
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, March 2017
San Angelo, TX - 1928 Tom Green County courthouse  fountain
Fountain in front of the courthouse dedicated to San Angelo's first mayor, George Julien Bird.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, March 2017
San Angelo, TX - 1928 Tom Green County courthouse  entablature over front entrance
Dedication on the entablature over the front entrance
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, March 2017
Photographer's Note:
Along with the date of county organization (1875) and the date San Angelo was incorporated (1903), there is a statement on the front of the parapet roof over the entrance that reads: "To the memory of the heroic pioneers of West Texas, this building is dedicated. Men's homage and their love shall never cease to follow them." - Terry Jeanson
San Angelo, TX - 1928 Tom Green County courthouse  plaque
Courthouse dedication plaque on the southeast corner
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, March 2017
 San Angelo, Texas - Tom Green County Courthouse
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/%7Etxpstcrd/
 San Angelo, Texas - Tom Green County Courthouse and courthouse ground
Courthouse and courthouse grounds
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/%7Etxpstcrd/

The 1885 Tom Green County Courthouse
- San Angelo, Texas

Date: 1885
Architect: W. W. Larmour
Style: Second Empire
Material: Stone

After the Ben Ficklin flood, the county seat was moved to
San Angelo in 1883 and a third, stone courthouse was built in 1885. It was designed in a Second Empire style by San Antonio architect W. W. Larmour and had Mansard cupolas on the corner pavilions, bracketed pediments, roof ventilators and a central, truncated clock tower. Plans for this courthouse were originally submitted by contractor J.H. Walker. When Larmour learned that Walker was using his plans, he sued the contractor, but by that time, the county had fired Walker and replaced him with John C. Lillis. Larmour sued the new contractor and was awarded $2,005.00.

Larmour's construction superintendent was Oscar Ruffini, who later sent the plans for this courthouse to his brother, Frederick, from which they both derived the designs for their popular Second Empire style courthouses. The 1885 courthouse was demolished in 1927 when the current courthouse was being built. Some of the stone and the bell from the 1885 courthouse was placed into the 1929 Emmanuel Episcopal Church at S. Randolph Street and W. Harris Street, just northwest of the current courthouse.

Sources:
The Texas Historical Commission's County Atlas at atlas.thc.state.tx.us and
The Handbook of Texas Online at tshaonline.org/handbook.
The 1885 Tom Green County courthouse in San Angelo
Postcard courtesy of courthousehistory.com

The 1882 Tom Green County Courthouse
- Ben Ficklin

The second Tom Green County courthouse, completed in February of 1882, was a rectangular, Greek-Revival style, two-story stone building with a hipped roof. The courthouse had five bays across the front and back, separated by pilasters, three bays on the sides and central cylindrical tower.

After surviving the Ben Ficklin flood of August 24, 1882 (some sources say the courthouse was destroyed,) the materials from this courthouse were used to build a school in San Angelo, c.1883, which was a copy of the former courthouse.

Sources:
The Texas Historical Commission's County Atlas at atlas.thc.state.tx.us and
The Handbook of Texas Online at tshaonline.org/handbook.
1882 Tom Green County courthouse,  Ben Ficklin , Texas
The 1882 Tom Green County Courthouse in Ben Ficklin. Photo from old newspaper clipping, no date or name of paper

The 1876 Tom Green County Courthouse
- Ben Ficklin
The first Tom Green County courthouse was a 40' x 60' one-story jacale (adobe-like structure) with three rooms. It was donated by sheriff James Spears and Francis Corbett Taylor, a close friend of the town's namesake. The 1876 courthouse was destroyed in the flood of 1882.

Sources:
The Texas Historical Commission's County Atlas at atlas.thc.state.tx.us and
The Handbook of Texas Online at tshaonline.org/handbook.

See
San Angelo, Texas
Tom Green County
More
Texas Courthouses

Related Topics:
Texas
Texas Towns
Texas Counties
Texas Architecture
Texas Images

Book Hotel Here:
San Angelo Hotels
More Hotels

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TEXAS:

TEXAS COUNTIES



TEXAS REGIONS

  • Central Texas - North
  • Central Texas - South
  • East Texas
  • West Texas
  • South Texas
  • Texas Hill Country
  • Texas Panhandle
  • Texas Gulf Coast

    Texas Towns A - Z


    Texas Ghost Towns


    Texas Architecture


    Texas Topics


    Texas History


    Columns - History/Opinion

  • All Texas Towns :
    Gulf Gulf Coast East East Texas North Central North Central Woutn Central South Panhandle Panhandle
    South South Texas Hill Hill Country West West Texas Ghost Ghost Towns counties COUNTIES

    TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
    HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | SEARCH SITE
    TEXAS TOWNS A-Z | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS A-Z | TEXAS COUNTIES

    Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
    TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

    Texas Attractions
    TEXAS TOPICS
    People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
    COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

    TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
    Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
    Vintage Photos

    USA | MEXICO | HOTELS

    Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
    Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved