History in a Pecan
camp was first established in Mills County in 1855, it was later moved to Coleman
County in 1856. The new location was on the trail connecting Fort
Belknap and Fort Mason. It was
said to be on Mulewater Creek, just six miles N of the Colorado River. Two companies
of U.S. Cavalry were stationed there but due to frequent illness, it was moved
north to Jim Ned Creek in 1857.
From 1857 until the start of the Civil
War, Camp Colorado served as the nerve center and protector for tall other communities
in Coleman County. It had a post office and a telegraph connected to San
Antonio. The campeven had an “open air” school taught by one of the post’s
officers under the shade of a tree.
With the advent of the Civil War,
the camp was evacuated with all of the men and officers joining the Confederates
with the exception of one Lt. Cosby who remained in the Union. After the troops
left, the camp, it was occupied by Texas State Troops and / or Texas Rangers.
Texas troops were stationed here until the end of the war. It was not re-occupied
by the U.S. Army. In the late 1870s the land was purchased by an Englishman who
turned the former post into his home, using the HQ building and guardhouse as
There is a cemetery just east of the former camp.
County 1882 Map showing Camp Colorado|
Courtesy Texas General
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
| Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate Network|