Lubbock County, Texas
State Highway 114
About 3 Miles E of Reese Air Force
About 6 Miles W of Downtown Lubbock
Now included in that of Lubbock
Texas Area Hotels > Lubbock
in a Pecan ShellThe
community that was Carlisle grew around a school and was named for local rancher
W. A. Carlisle. The school was one of 26 rural Lubbock county school districts
in the late 1920s. The Frenship district was formed from schools in Hurlwood,
Wolfforth, and Foster. The town once boasted
the largest vineyard in NW Texas and had two stores of its own.
was still listed as a community in 1983, but was annexed to Lubbock
in January of the following year.
Carlisle Cemetery Historical Marker|
Gibson, March 2010
Carlisle community was named for W. Augustus "Uncle Gus" Carlisle (1849-1920),
who settled here with his wife Lizzie (Spikes) (d. 1914) in 1890. A cattleman
and a prominent landowner, Carlisle made significant contributions to the development
of the area, including a donation of land for a school. In 1918 he set aside this
part of his property for use as a public cemetery. It was first used for the burial
of George W. Wood (b. 1879), a victim of the 1920 influenza epidemic. Other graves
include those of pioneer area settlers and early leaders of Carlisle.
|Book Hotel Here