in a Pecan Shell|
No explanation is available for the unusual
name. Dr. J.T. O’Barr planned this would-be utopian community around 1907. The
town was platted and streets graded. Five two-story buildings were placed along
streets named after the doctor’s patients.
A post office was granted and
Dr. O’Barr offered lots for sale on enticing terms. He went so far as to pre-plant
a cotton crop for potential buyers.
A storm blew in and damaged many of
the buildings. The school was hit hardest and not rebuilt. Sales had not been
brisk and the community struggled to hang on. Disheartened pioneers moved on.
The cotton gin, an important cog in the community economy, closed because of regional
competition. The closing of the post office in 1918 was the final nail in Konohasset’s
coffin. Dr. O’Barr returned people’s down payments and let the land revert to
County 1920s Map showing Konohassett|
Howard and Sterling County lines)
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
and vintage/historic photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate