TexasEscapes.comTexas Escapes Online Magazine: Travel and History
Columns: History, Humor, Topical and Opinion
Over 2600 Texas Towns & Ghost Towns
NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : ARCHITECTURE : : IMAGES : : SITE MAP : : SEARCH SITE
HOME
SEARCH SITE
ARCHIVES
RESERVATIONS
Texas Hotels
Hotels
Cars
Air
Cruises
 
Texas | Buildings | Courthouses

PALO PINTO COUNTY COURTHOUSE
County Seat - Palo Pinto, Texas

Palo Pinto has had three courthouses: 1857, 1882 and 1940.
See Historical Marker

Palo Pinto, Texas Area Hotels:
Mineral Wells Hotels

Present Palo Pinto County Courthouse, Palo Pinto, Texas
The 1940 Palo Pinto County courthouse on US 180
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, April 2006

The Present Palo Pinto Courthouse

Date - 1940
Architect - Preston M. Geren and M. A. Howell
Style - Texas Renaissance
Material - Sandstone from the 1882 courthouse

Though not grandiose like the Romanesque courthouses built in the 1890s, this 1940 building has its own understated charm. It is an excellent example of a pre-War rural courthouse. With its brass doorknobs and eagle-encrusted light fixtures, if one was to imagine a young lawyer in a seersucker suit named Huey Piece Long defending an overall-clad client, then one would be horribly wrong. Huey Long never set foot in Palo Pinto County and besides he was killed before this courthouse was built.
Texas historical marker - Courthouses of Palo Pinto County
Courthouses of Palo Pinto County Historical Marker on US 180
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, April 2006
Historical Marker Text

Courthouses of Palo Pinto County

Palo Pinto County was created in 1856 and named for a creek south of here that was perhaps named by Spanish explorers of the Brazos River Valley. The county seat of 320 acres was surveyed at its geographical center and was originally named Golconda.

A court session in 1857 called for the first courthouse to be built of wood frame construction, with two doors and three windows. The contract was awarded to a bid of $300. Shortly after, in 1859, the town name was changed to Palo Pinto.

In 1882, just after the Texas Legislature allowed counties to issue bonds for new courthouses, a large sandstone structure was built. It cost $35,000 and exhibited Second Empire styling with a central clock tower. A two story sandstone annex was added in 1906 and connected to the courthouse by an iron bridge. Sandstone for the buildings was quarried south of the city.

In 1940 these buildings were demolished and a new courthouse was erected by Work Projects Administration workers. The reinforced-concrete structure featured subtle classical detail and was clad with some of the sandstone from the old buildings. It was completed in 1942 at a cost of $250,000.

(1986)
Palo Pinto County Courthouse front, Palo Pinto, Texas
Palo Pinto County courthouse entrance
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, May, 2005
Palo Pinto County Courthouse eagle, Palo Pinto, Texas
Palo Pinto County courthouse eagle
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson May, 2005
1940 Palo Pinto County Courthouse, Texas old photo
The 1940 Palo Pinto Courthouse
Photo courtesy texasoldphotos.com
Palo Pinto County Courthouse, Texas
Another view of the 1940 Palo Pinto Courthouse
Photo courtesy texasoldphotos.com

The 1882 Palo Pinto County Courthouse

The 1882 Palo Pinto County Courthouse, Texas
The 1882 Palo Pinto County Courthouse
1939 photo courtesy TXDoT
1882 Palo Pinto County Courthouse, Texas old  photo
An earlier view of the 1882 Palo Pinto County Courthouse
Photo courtesy THC

Palo Pinto County Courthouse, Jail & Museum

Photo courtesy Mike Lewis

Palo Pinto, Texas

See Palo Pinto, Texas
See Palo Pinto County Jail
More Texas Courthouses

Book Your Hotel Here & Save
Mineral Wells Hotels
More Hotels

 
TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | TEXAS HOTELS
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | MAPS

Texas Attractions
TEXAS FEATURES
People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
Vintage Photos

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | HOTELS | USA | MEXICO

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Recommend Us | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright 1998-2011. Texas Escapes - Blueprints For Travel, LLC. All Rights Reserved
This page last modified: February 1, 2011