in a Pecan Shell:
A Timeline of
1856: The county was formed by the state legislature.
1857: Palo Pinto
County was organized and site of present-day Palo Pinto is designated
Golconda. The first courthouse
built and post office is granted – school opens.
1860: The post office is renamed Palo Pinto
1870s: The Palo Pinto Star published – Fort Griffin-Weatherford stage
line makes it a stop
1880: Although Palo Pinto was the only community in the county and
the county seat – it was bypassed by the T & P railroad.
1881: sandstone courthouse
is built replacing the original wooden one
1891: population reaches 400
1895: Ferry across the river is replaced by bridge
1939-1940: Present courthouse
1947: The population reaches 500.
Pinto, Texas Area Hotels:
courtesy Mike Lewis
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact