Young County postal map showing Proffitt|
(Above "Y" in "Y-O-U-N-G",
NW of Graham)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in a Pecan Shell
Named after the ranching Proffitt family around 1862 - under the protection of
nearby Fort Belknap. John Proffitt donated
land for a church that was also a school and Masonic lodge after the Civil War.
The Proffitt post office opened in 1880. John Proffitt went into the freighting
business and in the mid 1890s he opened a store. In 1925 the post office was closed
and mail was routed through Newcastle.
population remained at only fifty for decades and then increased to 125 in the
1960s. After that unexplained increase, further figures are unavailable. |
church, cemetery and community center are all that remain of the former town.
is included as an entry in T. Lindsay Baker's Ghost Towns of Texas