a Pecan Shell
Welch has no 19th Century history. It began when storekeeper Charley Holden opened
his grocery in 1924 when the community was still called "Shack Town."
communities of Lou and Pride
were absorbed in 1934 when a new post office was opened under the name of Welch.
As the other towns declined, Welch grew. Area children attended schools in Welch
which provided both grammer and high schools.
The origin of the name is
not known, and the community has never exceeded a population of 200. From 185
people in 1949, it declined to 110 for the 1980 census and the figure of 95 for
2000 - where it has remained.
Photo courtesy Ken
Rudine, August 2005
| Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate Network|