a Pecan Shell
A settlement called
Hickory Hill was nearby in the early 1840s. A post office opened
there in 1848 and the East Line and Red River Railroad arrived in
1876. A station was built where Avinger would later appear.
The businesses from Hickory Hill started relocating to be near the
rails and by 1877 even the post office moved. Dr. H. J. Avinger, who
also operated a store, had the town renamed in his honor. The population
was 100 by 1892 and by 1914 it was estimated to be 500.
Prior to the Great Depression, the town was up to 700 which declined
to 450 through the 1930s. The Lone Star Steel Plant was built just
west of town during World
War II. In 1949 the town renewed itself by rebuilding its infrastructure
and paving its streets. A new high school was built as well as a water
and sewer system.
The population peaked at 750 people in 1960. The 1990 Census reported
478 people which has remained at about that level in 2000.
of Wildflower Trails and Avinger Indians"
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, October 2011
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered
and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local
history and vintage/historic photos, please contact