County, East Texas
19 Miles E of Carthage
Population: 106 (2000)
in a Pecan Shell
Settled in the late 1830s, Adam LaGrone and family are credited with being the
town’s first settlers. Just prior to the Civil War, LaGrone’s son built a cotton
gin and grist mill which later evolved into the town of Linus.
the time came to apply for a post office, another town had claimed the name of
Linus, so citizens chose Deadwood as their second choice. This was accepted by
the postal authorities and in 1882 a post office opened.
a population of fifty in the mid 1850s when the community had the aforementioned
gin and mill as well as a school and two churches.
The post office closed
its doors in 1917 and in the mid 1930s the population had reached 125 – the high-water
mark. It has since declined to 106 – for the 1990 Census and again for the 2000
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
and vintage/historic photos, please contact
|Book Hotels Here