a Name on a Map
Shelby County, East
Duff had been on the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad
or The junction of County Roads 1080 and 1070
About 8 Miles N of San
About 11 Miles S of Center
about 9 Miles W of Patroon
Area Hotels > Center
Hotels | San Augustine
on a Pinhead|
It was merely a flag stop on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad, but
it did manage to have a post office (briefly) in 1907.
flag the train and either take it north to Longview
or south to Beaumont. After
the mid 1970s passenger service was discontinued on the line and Duff – the town
that never was – only appears on a few maps and as a rare postmark.
“Duff is shown on some maps and has an entry in the Handbook of Texas,
however, all that is visible today is a dusty, east Texas road running parallel
to the railroad track. The tracks themselves are hidden by the thick overgrowth.
There was no sign of habitation.” Gerald
Shelby County map showing Duff (S of Center)|
Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here