|History in a Pecan
by former slaves in 1873, the name was suggested by former slave and civic leader
Jeff Carter. Nigton was primarily a farming community and had its own post office
from 1894 to 1923. By 1896 the town had a thiving population of 500 people along
with a sawmill, cotton gin, wagonmaker, and three churches.
By the 1940s
only ten residents still lived in Nigton although that has increased to an estimated
34 people in the 1990s. Residents are direct descendants of the original African-American
Today (2010) canines appear to outnumber humans by a 3 to 1 ration.
Scattered dwellings are in disrepair and there are no signs to verify you’ve arrived.
Trinity County 1907 Postal map showing
Escapes show[s] it being founded in 1873, In Frederick Law Olmsted's book, A Trip
across Texas, he visited [the town] in his trip. This trip was in the late 1850's.
It was formed by free Blacks, some of whom owned slaves themselves. The town was
described as larger than some of the now famous Texas towns." - L. J. Parker,
November 03, 2012
County 1907 Postal map showing Nigton|
"Y" in "TRINITY")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here