in a Pecan Shell|
The town came into being with the arrival
of a wagon train from Georgia in 1875. Jesse H. Ratcliff, built a sawmill here
in the mid 1880s. The post office opened in 1889 and named in Ratcliff's honor.
Ratcliff sold his mill in 1901 to the Central Coal and Coke Company. This new
operation evolved into a huge lumber operation known by the four Cs in it's name
- The Four C Mill.
The population swelled to 5,000 people and Ratcliff
was spared the fate of many East Texas towns because of the size of the milling
operations. But as the forests were cut, the writing was on the wall for Ratcliff.
By 1920 almost all of the trees had been cut. The town declined until a reforestation
project was launched in the 1930s. Davy Crockett National Forest was established
and the Ratcliff Recreation Area opened.
Ratcliff has two Texas historical
markers: one for the town and another for the Four C Mill.
1875, a 32-wagon train of settlers came here from Georgia. Jess H. Ratcliff (1844-1920)
built a sawmill about 1855, drawing more people. Post office opened 1889, with
Ratcliff as postmaster, and town soon had several stores. Professional men included
Drs. H.L. McCall and Jake Jackson. Sold 1901 to Louisiana and Texas Lumber Co.,
then to Central Coal and Coke Co., sawmill became a vast complex, running until
1917, when it closed. Turning to logging or other enterprises, the community survived,
although many residents moved away. The Ratcliff schools consolidated (1955) with
trot houses by Bob Bowman|
"...Few of the old-time dog trot homes
are left in East Texas... [A] well-preserved
dog trot house near Ratcliff in Houston County. It was a beauty to behold, framed
by crepe myrtles and cedar trees..."
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels