32°28'42"N 94°3'50"W (32.478416, -94.063769)
I-20 at the Louisiana State Line
FM 134 and FM 9, Highway 80
18 miles SE of Marshall
12 miles N of Panola
20 miles from Shreveport
Population: 2,160 (2010) 2,068 (2000) 1,812 (1990)
Waskom, Texas Area Hotel > Marshall
- a tribute to those who serve
courtesy Julia Foley Bey
More Texas Murals
in a Pecan Shell
Founded around 1850, the community had first been known as Powell
Town, after an early settler. From 1850 through 1872 it had a
post office under the name Powellton. With the arrival of the
Southern Pacific, the name was changed to Waskom Station in
after a railroad official. The name was shortened to Waskom in 1881.
By 1884 the population was estimated at 150 and by 1904 it had increased
The Missouri, Kansas and Texas ran a branch line through Waskom about
1900. When oil was discovered near Waskom in 1924, the population
increased accordingly. From a few hundred people it jumped to 1,000
and appears to have reached a peak in 1933 with 1,117 people.
The Great Depression thinned the population back to 564 by 1941. It
has since grown past the 1933 level - reaching 2,182 in 1988.
Waskom is home to one of Texas' welcome stations.
Courtesy Julia Foley Bey
was an early logging center. Logs were cut from the piney woods of
East Texas and hauled
by mule trains or steam engine to Waskom mills.... The mill was owned
by William Madison Waterman.... The evolution of the mill was ownership
by Waterman from 1918 to 1929, and then Olin Mathison Chemical Corp.,
which bought the mill and closed it in 1953. According to the publication
"Waskom, Gateway to Texas." The mill itself was much like
a small town with a large commissary, hotel, gasoline station, offices
and many homes."
|Waskom 1939 Depot
photo courtesy Julia Foley Bey
More Texas Depots
|1936 Texas State
Highway Department Map
courtesy Julia Foley Bey
Take a road
& Marshall: A metropolitan Sunday Drive by Bob Bowman:
continue on 1998 until you reach the intersection of Farm Road 134.
Head south on 134 to the one-time cotton community of Jonesville...
From Jonesville, continue on 134
to Waskom. Here, head south on Farm Road 9 until it intersects
with Farm Road 2625. Follow 2625, passing through Crossroads, Rosobrough
Springs, Darco and Gailee, until it
reaches Farm Road 968. Head west back into Longview."
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact