in a Pecan Shell
Oklahoman oil speculator J. L. Courtney, bought the land in 1917 but
it wasn’t surveyed until the late 1920s. Courtney had wanted to name
the community Tulsa, but that name was already in use (another oil
town in Winkler County - see Tulsa,
Texas) so he took the Spanish diminutive form and submitted it
on a post office application. Tulsita (Little Tulsa) was born.
Growth was hampered by The Great Depression and WWII.
By the late 1950s only fifty people called Tulsita hone – a number
that would be halved in the next ten years.
The 1990 census counted twenty-five residents which dropped to a mere
twenty for the 2000 count.
| Bee County map
Modification of Texas General Land Office 1920s map
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact