Register of Historic Places1
Mile West of Normanna
on CR 241
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
on CR 241 is the historic MEDIO CREEK BRIDGE.|
The bridge was the idea
of Viggo Kohler, a man who later built the large Viggo
Hotel in Hebbronville
(1915). He petitioned the Bee County Commissioners to accept bids in June of 1897.
The bridge arrived in kit form and was assembled by the Austin Brothers Bridge
Near the bridge - the town of Mineral
had been something of a health resort in the 1890s. Deepening the well caused
the mineral content to decline to the point where people no longer came.
The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 and
became a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1987.
Marker Text Built
in 1897 by the New Jersey Iron and Steel Company, this bridge has served as one
of the major crossings on the road from Beeville
to San Antonio. Funding for the
bridge was acquired from the sale of bonds from Bee County's permanent school
fund. Construction costs totaled $3,990. |
The steel Pratt through truss
bridge, with a wooden deck and approaches, rests on riveted-steel caissons, or
piers. It has survived numerous floods. The top of the bridge was restored in
1923, and a new floor was constructed in 1947. The bridge remained in service
for vehicular traffic until 1987.
Texas Historic Landmark - 1987
current condition of the bridge|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, February 2009
The Medio Creek Bridge in a foggy morning|
"Mother nature has pretty much
taken it over."
Beauchamp, November 12, 2007 photo