|This marker is
located on a point of land just NE of the Lavaca Bay bridge before
getting to Point Comfort.
Photo courtesy Ken
Rudine, June 2007
Named for early settler Thomas Cox, the "point" was originally at
the end of a peninsula that jutted into what is now Cox's Bay - bounded
by the larger Lavaca Bay. This was an early point of entry for Americans
entering Mexican Texas in the 1820s and 30s and was also the site
of a trading post in 1832.
The marker text reads:
Site of Cox's Point
An early landing place of supplies for the interior.
Captain Jack Shackleford's Red Rovers of Alabama also disembarked
from this point.
A town established here in 1836 was burned
by the Indians in 1840."
Cox's Point has a shared
history with the neighoring ghost town of Linnville.
Great Comanche Raid and the Battle of Plum Creek by Jeffery
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact