a Pecan Shell
arriving here as early as 1819. It was the home to James Long and
his wife Jane who, during her husband’s imprisonment in Mexico was
said to be the sole resident here. Accompanied by her maid, she
witnessed the freezing of Galveston Bay.
Just after the Texas Revolution, Samuel D. Parr was awarded a land
grant and platted a town named Parrsville. A post office
was in operation in the 1870s under the name Gabion (no explanation
From the mid 1880s through 1892, a post office operated under the
name Parrsville. It was renamed Pepper Grove in 1892
and when Parr sold off some of his holdings, another nearby town
named Ishmael was laid out.
1893 was the first time Port Bolivar appeared on maps. A
townsite company bought nearly 3,000 acres here and when a railroad
(The Gulf and Interstate) connected the community to Beaumont
in 1896, the name became permanent.
Port Bolivar became one of the first official ports in Texas.
The 1915 population was only 100 residents but they enjoyed a colorful
For both the 1880 and 2000 census, the population was given as 1,200.
& Centennial Marker
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, October 2007
In 1872, Port Bolivar acquired its most familiar landmark when the
lighthouse was completed. And for the next eighty years, its well-known
beacon guided thousands of mariners into port in Galveston Bay. In
1952, when better navigational aids were available and its old beacon
was obsolete, the Bolivar lighthouse became only one of many Gulf
Coast light facilities whose beacons were extinguished for all time.
(From Bolivar Peninsula
by W.T. Block Jr.)
Courtesy rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
Photo courtesy Terry
Jeanson, May 2006
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, May 2012
Peninsula: Scene of Slaving, Smuggling, Filibustering and Farms
by W.T. Block Jr.
Longest Train Ride by C. F. Eckhardt
"Train #1 of the Gulf & Interstate Railroad, which left Beaumont,
Texas, at 7:00 AM on September 8, 1900, to make the run to Port
Bolivar, about 85 miles away by modern highway, arrived at Port
Bolivar at 11:10 AM, September 24, 1903—three years, sixteen days,
and ten minutes late. Some of the original passengers were still
County postal map showing Port Bolivar
(Under "S" in "GALVESTON")
From Texas state map #2090
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and vintage/historic photos, please contact