TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
NEW
TEXAS TOWNS
GHOST TOWNS
COUNTIES
TOPICS
TRIPS
ARCHITECTURE
COLUMNS
ARCHIVE
SITE MAP
SEARCH SITE
HOTELS



CHERRY SPRING, TEXAS

Texas Ghost Town
Gillespie County, Texas Hill Country

Highway 87
1/2 mile S of the Mason County Line
16 miles NW of Fredericksburg
6 miles S of Loyal Valley
Population 75 (estimate since 1970)

Cherry Spring Area Hotels > Fredericksburg Hotels

History in a Pecan Shell

Cherry Spring was a stop along the San Antonio-El Paso road and had a moderate success taking care of the needs of travelers. The community dates from the late 1840s / early 1850s when German settlers left the safety of Fredericksburg to strike out on their own. Dietrich Rode and William Kothe are credited with being town founders. A Lutheran church was built there in 1849.

A post office was opened by 1858, and within two years there were over 200 people - three quarters of them German immigrants who farmed and/or kept sheep. Famed German colonist and Indian negotiator John O. Meusebach was buried at Cherry Spring in 1897.

Without a railroad and far from large cities, Cherry Spring never grew past it's initial growth spurt - and by 1912 there still weren't enough people to warrant a post office. In 1933 the population was reportedly 40 - but in the 1960s it fell to less than 10. It increased to 75 about the time Fredericksburg was being "discovered" in the late 1960s and the same figure is given in 2004.

Detailed TXDoT maps of Gillespie County show no fewer than twelve cemeteries within eight miles of Cherry Springs.

Cherry Spring, Texas Landmarks

Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, Cherry Spring, Texas
Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church
Photo courtesy Justin Parson, April 2006
Historical marker:
Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church
German Lutherans in the community of Cherry Spring began meeting together for worship in the 1850s. Diedrich Rode (1828-1925), a licensed lay minister, provided space in his home for worship services and Sunday School. Christ Church congregation was officially organized in 1905. John and Mary Rode Wendel gave land for a church building in December 1905, and a rock sanctuary was completed in 1906. Services were conducted in the German language until 1922, when occasional English services were added. In the 1950s English became the principal language.
1988
Cherry Spring TX - Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church Historical Marker
Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Justin Parson, April 2006

Old Cherrry Spring School, Texas
The Old Cherry Spring School
Photo courtesy Justin Parson, April 2006
Historical marker:
Old Cherry Spring School
Das Alte Schulhaus
The Cherry Spring community was founded by German immigrants about 1850. Classes for schoolchildren originally were held in private homes. In 1859 German nobleman Wilhelm Marschall Von Bieberstein deeded ten acres of land to L. Schneider, H. Bradhering, W. Kothe, C. Ahrens, C. Kothe, and F. Doering for construction of a schoolhouse. Classes were held in the original part of this building from 1860 through 1878. The schoolhouse later was used for church services and was the site of the formal organization of Christ Lutheran Church in 1905.
1985
Old Cherrry Spring School, and marker, Texas
Old Cherry Spring School and marker
Photo courtesy Justin Parson, April 2006
Cherry Spring TX - Old Cherry Spring School Historical Marker
Old Cherry Spring School Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Justin Parson, April 2006

Cherry Spring cemetery stone wall, Texas
"A cool little cemetery surrounded by a stone wall" -
Photo courtesy Justin Parson, April 2006
Historical marker:
The Marschall-Meusebach Cemetery
Members of the families of two former German noblemen, related by marriage, are buried in this cemetery. John O. Meusebach (1812-97), who came to the Republic of Texas in 1845 as leader of the German Emigration Company, established (1846) the town of Fredericksburg and signed (1847) an historic peace treaty with the Comanche Indians. Wilhelm Marschall Von Bierberstein (1822-1902) settled in this community in 1848. First burial here was that of Marschall's sister-in-law, Mathilda Weiss (1824-91).
1976
Cherry Spring Texas cemetery scene
The Marschall-Meusebach Cemetery
Photo courtesy Justin Parson, April 2006
John O. Meusebach grave
John O. Meusebach tombstone
Photo courtesy Michael Barr, September 2016
German tombstone in Cherry Spring cemtery, Texas
"What looked like the oldest stone was carved in German."
Photo courtesy Justin Parson, April 2006
German Gravestone

The German grave stone on this page is easily translated to:

Louise von Marschall
GEB short for "gebuertig" or "born as"
Weiss GEB short for "geboren" or "born on" November 18, 1827
GEST short for "gestorben" or "died on" January 23, 1901

Enjoy and hope it helps someone,

- CODY WAITS
Camp Speicher
Tikrit, Iraq,
October 30, 2006
Cherry Spring TX - Marschall-Meusebach Cemetery Historical Marker
Marschall-Meusebach Cemetery Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Justin Parson, April 2006
Marschall Cemetery sign, Cherry Spring, Texas
Marschall Cemetery sign
Photo courtesy Justin Parson, April 2006

TX - Cherry Spring Dance Hall
March 2016 photo © Michael Barr
Cherry Spring Dance Hall

TX - Cherry Spring, Gillespie County 1909 postmark info
TX - Cherry Spring, Gillespie County 1909 postmark
Postcard cancelled with 1909 Cherry Spring, TX postmark
Courtesy The John J. Germann Collection

Cherry Spring, Texas
Area Destinations:

See Gillespie County
Fredericksburg
Book Hotel Here:

Fredericksburg Hotels
More Hotels

More Texas Towns & Hotels:
See Texas Hill Country
Texas Towns
Texas Ghost Towns
Texas Counties
Texas

Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic photos, please contact us.



All Texas Towns :
Gulf Gulf Coast East East Texas North Central North Central Woutn Central South Panhandle Panhandle
South South Texas Hill Hill Country West West Texas Ghost Ghost Towns State Parks State Parks

TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | SEARCH SITE
TEXAS TOWNS A-Z | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS A-Z | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

Texas Attractions
TEXAS TOPICS
People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
Vintage Photos

USA | MEXICO | HOTELS

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved