in a Pecan Shell
The mine at
Dabney closed in 1900, but they had a school with 31 students as
late as 1906. The mine was reopened by a former employee who had
gone into the paving business himself in San
Antonio. This fellow was R.L. White and he married John Smythís
(See Blewett, Texas) daughter Ethel.
The mine was in full operation in 1935 and when White was able to
pay off the property Ė he felt there was a stipulation where he
was entitled to additional tonnage. A dispute arose in 1941. WWII
kept everyone busy, but after the war the Texas Supreme Court ruled
against White and the town was abandoned, as well as production.
The population was a reported 25 in 1966. And thatís the figure
given on the map today. Employees had been bussed in to work the
mines from Uvalde and Sabinal,
but thatís not being done today.
What is being
done is commendable. The Vulcan Company in a cooperative effort
with a Maryland Conservation Group and Texas Parks and Wildlife,
has stocked the lakes with fish and has built nesting boxes for
migratory birds. The entire area owned by the mines is now an animal
Since FM 1022 is a county road, you are free to drive its length
and see the pits from the road. We were told that the office in
Knippa can provide tours of plantís
operation if they receive advance notice.
I remember, this town consisted of only 10 homes and, it was located
directly across the White's Mines. This town was approximately two
miles south of Blewett, also on
FM 1022. This town housed the employees for White's Mines. This
town became a ghost town way before Blewett."
- Raul Nolasco, Jr.
Dabney, Texas - "2 Texas Mining towns --- no town to see
but the mines in the area are still active. A Blewett Ranch sign
and an intersection are about it for Blewett.
Not much to see at the end of the road at Dabney." - William
Beauchamp, June 22, 2012
A view from
TE Photo, April 2001
mines in the area are still active."
TE Photo, April 2001
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact