|History in a Pecan
The town had no 19th Century history. It started life as a
stop on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railroad in 1929, the same year it was granted
a post office. Railroad General Manager R. H. Allison is the town’s namesake.
Growth was fast. In just a year Allison had three cotton gins, a store and
With the help of the Lone Star Townsite Company, electricity
and gas were installed and a water system came in 1932. The nearby town of Zybach
was swallowed by Allison’s growth. The town acquired a bad reputation during the
20s for the practice of bootlegging. By 1940 with a population of nearly 200,
Allison was served by no fewer than five stores.
In 1974 the population
was estimated at 135, the same figure given for the 2000 census.