Texas Conductor reading orders|
1943 photo by photographer Jack Delano, courtesy
Library of Congress
| Texas Railroads
| History in a Pecan
Black, Texas began life in 1898 as a stop on the Pecos Valley
and Northern Texas Railroad. It was named for local landowner E. B. Black. When
the giant XIT
Ranch started selling off it's immense holdings in 1908, excursion trains
carrying would-be land buyers passed through Black.
A post office opened
in 1912 to join a school that had opened two years previously. The post office
closed and reopened several times, opening for good in 1926. In the early 1920s,
church services were held in the grocery of Ray Conway. In 1950 the Black school
district merged with its counterpart in Friona
and the former school has since become a community center.
The 1990 Census
figure of 100 residents is still in use for 2000.