in a Pecan Shell
Ranchers John and
William Hittson settled here around 1870. A post office was applied
for and granted in 1886. By 1890 the community numbered 25 residents
and by the middle of that decade, Hitson had the four essential building
blocks for a community – a school, church, store and post office.
The post office closed in 1906 but the town survived (barely). Although
no population figures are available, 1940 showed Hitson had increased
the number of businesses to three. After the school consolidated in
1947, the life went out of the town and besides a few scattered residences,
only the cemetery and marker are left.
“The Hitson marker mentions an unamed cemetery. Afton Cemetery
may or may not be associated with Hitson. This is another of those
communities that sprang up across Texas and left without a trace,
usually with no significant history.” - Barclay
and William Hittson were among the first to settle in this area
in about 1870; the area around their homes became known as Hittson
or Hitson. Fisher County was created in 1876, and settlement began
to increase. A post office opened in 1885. A school began operation
in 1888 and by 1896 Hitson had a general store operated by C. W.
Morris as well as a Methodist church. The Hittson brothers were
the major landowners in the area, but the community included a number
of large farming families who cleared the fertile land and planted
post office was moved to Swedonia
in 1906, the community of Hitson continued to grow. Oil was discovered
in the area after World
War I, providing an additional means of income for the townspeople
as well as the Hitson school for a time. In 1925 there were 32 families
with 120 school-age children living in the area.
By 1940 the town had a school, a church, three businesses and scattered
dwellings. As was the case in many small
towns across Texas and the U.S. during World
War II, most of the town's young people enlisted in the armed
forces or moved to cities to take part in the war effort. With their
labor force thus depleted, Hitson farmers were unable to survive.
Small family farms were sold to larger enterprises. Most of the
new owners lived in nearby Hamlin
or Rotan. Hitson school was consolidated
schools in 1947; the white frame church building used by the Hitson
Baptist Church was moved to Roby in
1959 and by the end of the 20th century all that remained of the
community were a few homes and a cemetery.
map showing Hitson (NE of Roby)
Modification of Texas General Land Office 1920s map
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact