an annual event, now replaced by Pioneer Days.
1922 photo courtesy Laura Shaffer
in a Pecan Shell
Originally called Nina, before 1882, the name was changed to
honor the president of the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad when it
arrived that year. A post office was granted the same year and Alvord
was incorporated in 1890.
The population in 1925 was a very respectible 1,376 people and the
town was thriving. The Magnolia Petroleum Company had a pumping station
operating in Alvord, but like most towns, the population dropped with
the onset of the Great Depression. In 1940 the population was down
to just over 800 and in 1960 it had declined further to only 720.
The town celebrates its heritage with an annual Pioneer Days celebration
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact