in a Pecan Shell
named for the Earl of the same name, was, in the late 1880s, the headquarters
of a division of the English-owned Rocking Chair Ranch. In 1889 a post
office opened and being severely short of “civilians,” a ranch foreman became
the first postmaster.
In 1890, the year Collingworth County was organized,
the Aberdeen Townsite Company was formed and a blacksmith and hotel opened for
business. The following year the first store opened, operated by Judge Edward
H. Small, In addition to his storekeeping duties, Small was also a doctor and
Seeing that Aberdeen was in place before the county was organized,
it seemed a natural choice for county seat, but the first vote was between the
town of Pearl and Wellington.
was declared void by the Texas Supreme Court and Aberdeen went about making itself
a suitable contender before the next election. The English Ranch owners did their
part. Lots were sold, a grocery opened and a school was financed (but not yet
Wellington won the election and the vanquished town reverted back
to Rocking Chair ownership by June of 1891.
The story wasn’t over yet.
The ranch became insolvent around 1900 and the land put up for sale. Potential
settlers found the town too isolated and the population became stagnant.
did survive for a time. During WWII
the post office closed. From 1930 to 1960 the community maintained a population
of 25 with a store, church and school, however by 1963 it had become a ghost.