Texas General Land Office|
in a Pecan Shell
part of the British-owned Rocking Chair Ranch, the name is almost certainly
after the English port. Local settlers formed a school district nearby in 1897
and by 1903 a post office had been granted.
In 1907 a cotton gin was in
business and the previously mentioned school moved to Plymouth in 1908, joined
by the post office that same year.
After 1924, the year the post office
closed, mail came from Shamrock. In the mid-1920s,
Plymouth was thriving with a four-teacher school, two churches, two general stores
and two filling stations, although the population was a mere 25 residents.
community weathered the Great Depression and in 1940, Plymouth still had the gin
and store, as well as the church and school. By the mid 1940s the number of residents
was reduced to just 50 people and it decreased from there. Since 1950 no population
figures have been available.
By the mid 1980s, only the Plymouth cemetery
Collingsworth County Postal map showing Plymouth|
"G" in "COLLINGSWORTH")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels