| History in a Pecan
Lariat was named by W. A. Simpson, passenger agent for the Pecos
and Northern Texas Railway. The town became a stop in 1913 on land that was formerly
owned by the XIT
Lariat remained a railroad stop until German Lutheran immigrants
arrived in the early 1920s. A church was built in 1924 and in 1925 Lariat applied
for a post office that was granted late in the year. By 1927 the congregation
of the Church of Christ built their building and Lariat got a grain elevator to
join the businesses already in place.
The population in the late 40s was
only 75 and the community bussed its children to school in Farwell.
In 1952 the skyline of Lariat was doubled by the addition of a second grain elevator.
The population has increased over the years to the current (estimated) population