Carson County Seat,
US 60 and Hwy 207
29 miles NE of Amarillo
27 miles SW of Pampa
23 miles S of Borger
Population 2,589 (2000) 2,353 (1990)
Texas Landmarks & Attractions
Carson County Courthouses >
Little Tree- Planted in 1888, the Bois d'Arc
tree planted here was the first tree planted in the Panhandle region.
It was accidentally poisoned in 1969 - replacement tree and markers
are on US 60 - five miles South of town.
Square House Museum: In Pioneer Park on Hwy 207City Offices are
in the former Santa Fe Depot
Scenic Drive: FM 293 West to Texas 136 North
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad depot was built in 1928
during the county's oil boom. Last used for passenger service in 1971,
it became the Panhandle City Hall in 1985. (This information was gleaned
from the historical marker in front of the building.) - Terry
Street Panhandle December 2007
Photo courtesy Tom
windmill in front of the Square House Museum
Photo courtesy Tom
Jones, December 2007
| "The Texan
Hotel opened in 1926 out of a desperate need for lodging during the
county's oil boom. Originally named the Downs Hotel after its initial
owners, it was sold in 1932 and renamed the Texan Hotel. This information
was gleaned from the historical marker in front of the building."
A brief timeline
of important events in Panhandle's history:
Panhandle was originally named with the appropriate (to the county)
name of Carson City.
1887: Name changed to Panhandle - first newspaper is printed.
1888: Carson County organized - Panhandle becomes seat of government.
1888: Panhandle is terminus for the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railroad.
1900: Population reaches 300.
1909: Panhandle incorporates.
1920s: Prosperity from natural gas sparks interest in installing
1930s: Town is bankrupted when interest on infrastructure bonds
can't be paid.
1965: Bonds finally paid off.