in a Pecan Shell
Rancher Henry Hyman
and his wife donated some of their land to the county for a school.
The post office opened in 1924. Growth was slow and early figures
arenít available but shortly after WWII,
the community reported a population of 50 residents served by two
In 1945 the huge school district of Hyman was divided into the communities
of Westbrook, Forsan and Colorado
City. The ranch / community also had a radio beacon for the U.S.
Air Force. This station remains in place, although it was decommissioned
when the air base at Big
Spring was closed.
The remains of a church keep it company along with a small community
cemetery and the houses of the remaining families.
|Map showing Hyman
(SW corner of Mitchell
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact