in a Pecan Shell
Originally the community was several miles west of its present location.
Local residents formed schools in the late 1870s but it wasn't until
1884 that they formed a district. The Jim Ned Independent School
District was named after a Delaware Indian chief who had served
as a scout with the Texas Militia. He was also the namesake of nearby
Jim Ned Creek.
In the late 1890s one John L. Graham donated land for a school,
church and several businesses and he himself opened a store (with
partner David Cole). Illinois native Clarence Cash named the town
after his former residence back home. Cash's suggested name was
well received and in April, 1899 a post office opened under the
The Abilene and Southern Railway arrived in 1907 and three years
later the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe arrived. As a railroad crossroads,
Tuscola's future seemed bright. In 1912 a large two-story school
was built as well as an auditorium. The population was a reported
300 people in 1913 and Tuscola had two fraternal lodges in town
as well as four churches, a newspaper and bank.
By the late
1920s the town's population reached 500 citizens, only to quickly
decline with the arrival of the Great Depression.
The population went back to 300 but slowly increased back to nearly
500 by the mid 1950s. The Tuscola ISD merged with Cedar Gap, Ovalo,
and Bradshaw schools to form the
South Taylor County ISD. When nearby Lawn
joined this district the name was changed to the Jim Ned District.
The 1912 school was replaced in the 1970s.
| The First Presbyterian
Church, now closed
Gibson, February 2007
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact