a Pecan ShellThe
town was established in the late 1870s and is thought to be Nolan County’s first
community. The name comes from Dora Collings, the postmaster’s daughter.
A school district was formed in 1891 and both Dora and (Old) Nolan, Texas (about
10 miles W) gave up population when Blackwell, Texas
sprang up along the railroad (equidistant between the two communities).
Dora’s student population was absorbed into the Divide district in 1928 – causing
another gouge in the declining population. In 1938 the post office closed its
doorts and for the 1940 census only 15 residents were reported.
the Dora cemetery is nearly all that is left of the community.
Nolan County postal Map showing Dora, Texas|
"N" in "NOLAN")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic,
endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local
history, stories, or historic/vintage photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here